Nominations sought for 2023 Showalter Scholars Program
IU School of Medicine Feb 09, 2023
IU School of Medicine is seeking nominations for the 2023 Ralph W. and Grace M. Showalter Research Trust Fund Showalter Scholars Program.
The Showalter Scholars Program seeks to recognize and reward research faculty whose scientific expertise and productivity have resulted in significant contributions to the School of Medicine and the greater research community.
The deadline for nominations is 5 p.m. Monday, March 6. All application materials should be converted to pdf format and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility and selection criteria
The program is limited to full-time IU School of Medicine faculty members who, at the date of nomination, hold the rank of associate professor (tenure optional) or have held the rank of professor for no more than one year.
The Showalter Trust provisions prohibit funding of psychiatric or psychology research or researchers, however, the Executive Associate Dean for Research will provide additional resources as needed to ensure faculty from all departments are eligible.
Candidates should have a track record of success with R01-equivalent funding or have demonstrated comparable success with predominately investigator-initiated clinical research. Evidence of collaboration within or outside the university must also be documented.
The IU School of Medicine research deans will annually select four nominees to join the cadre of 12 scholars.
If selected, each faculty member will bear the title of “IU School of Medicine Showalter Scholar” for three consecutive years beginning July 1 of the year of selection. If the faculty member is a psychiatric or psychology researcher, they will bear the title of “IU School of Medicine Scholar.” No individual may be appointed to more than one three-year term.
Showalter Scholars will receive $25,000 per year to support their research programs – exclusive of personal salary. Funds will be committed in the following manner:
- Year 1 - $25,000 external award from the Showalter Trust, OR, if the scholar is a psychiatric or psychology researcher, $25,000 from the Office of the Executive Associate Dean for Research Affairs. The award amount may be extended an additional two years as needed.
- Year 2 - $25,000 matching internal award from the nominating department/center.
- Year 3 - $25,000 matching internal award from IU School of Medicine.
Maximum spending on the accounts is limited to the cumulative scholar award amount, i.e. no greater than $25,000 in the first year, $50,000 in the second year, etc. In addition, funds may not be carried forward past the three-year term and any funds remaining at that time will revert to the School of Medicine for use at the discretion of the Executive Associate Dean for Research Affairs.
The following documentation of the nominee's work and career potential is required:
- Primary letter of nomination from sponsoring chair or center director clearly addressing eligibility criteria and accomplishments, and committing funds for the second year of the scholar’s term
- Two letters of support (one internal letter and one external letter)
- Curriculum Vitae, including current and pending grant support
For more information, please contact Sam Scahill at email@example.com.