With the support and approval from former department chairman Mark W. Geraci, MD, this new academy was created to assemble a core nucleus of accomplished clinical teachers, medical education scholars and experienced mentors in the Department to advance medical education.
The academy focuses on:
- Professional development of clinical faculty, including fellows and senior residents with plans for an academic career focused on medical education
- Support for educational innovations and scholarship
- Facilitating collaboration
- Offering career advice and mentoring
- Providing a forum to formally recognize excellence in medical education
The formation of this academy would not be possible without the generous philanthropic support from Richard N. Dexter, MD, professor emeritus of medicine in the Department of Medicine’s Division of Endocrinology. Thus, this academy is named to honor Dr. Dexter and his steadfast support of the medical education mission.
Under the direction of Robert Vu, MD, the academy boasts membership of leaders from across the Indiana University School of Medicine along with veteran faculty members.